A couple of weeks ago, I was in search of some helpful guides so that I can get to know how to install Kodi on Roku? There was a lot of information available on the internet but I didn’t found it helpful. That is why I decided to write a helpful guide on install Kodi on the Roku streaming stick so that you can get help from it.
To install Kodi on Roku do these basic steps:
- Press the Home button on the Roku remote
- Choose Settings and then prompt the System Update to check if you have updated Roku to the latest version or not.
- Head towards Settings and go to Screen mirroring
- Select Enable Screen Mirroring and press OK.
Isn’t it simple? Yeah, but if you want to install Kodi for Roku expresses, Roku premiere, and if you want to know in-depth about how to jailbreak Roku then continue to read on this guide.
Also, we will explain the detailed procedure for installing Kodi on Roku 4/3/2.
How to install Kodi on Roku?
Kodi is a famous media player software all across the globe. This software allows you to alter all your gadgets into a media station.
To make this streaming experience better, we can integrate Kodi with Roku. Before we begin, keep in mind that Kodi is not officially supported on Roku as it is a C/C++ application that Roku does not support.
But, you can still use Kodi on Roku and that can be done by using a screencast. Now that you know, you cannot install Kodi on Roku, but you can still cast the content of Kodi on Roku.
This process is not too much complicated as installing Kodi on any other software. The following are the possible methods that will help you to install Kodi on Roku easily.
How To Install Kodi On Roku 2/3/4?
Streaming content on Roku 2, 3, and 4 from Kodi is not impossible, as all of these versions support screening.
The main key to use Kodi on Roku is “Screen Mirroring”. With this feature, you will be able to replicate the whole screen on your smartphone, PC, TV, or any other device of your choice.
Before turning on the Screen Mirroring, remember to check if Roku 2, 3, or 4 and the device you are using are connected to the same network or not. You can use an Android phone or your desktop computer for this task.
Unfortunately, the iPhone is unable to support screen mirroring.
- Firstly you have to activate the Screen Mirroring on Roku
- On your Roku remote, click on the home screen and then click on the settings button
- From the system menu, navigate to Screen Mirroring and enable it.
There are different options available that can help you to get Kodi on your laptop, but the most reliable one is Windows Screen Mirroring.
With Windows Screen Mirroring you can directly mirror the content streaming from Kodi to your laptop.
So, if in case you have a Windows PC then you can easily install Kodi in order to cast content on your Roku device. Now, follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Open your web browser and head towards the official website of Kodi.
- Now, click on the download button located on the top-right corner of your screen in order to start the downloading process for Kodi.
- Now, on the next page choose your Operating System. Click on the Windows option.
- After that select the Kodi Installer from the list available.
- Within a few seconds, the download process will be started. When it gets completed, head towards the download location and click on the kodi.exe file.
- Click twice on the .exe file to start the installation process.
- After that, click on the ‘Next’ button in the installation window.
- Click on the ‘I agree’ button after reading the Privacy Agreement.
- Choose a directory where you can install Kodi on your PC.
- Click on the finish button when the process is completed.
After you have successfully installed Kodi on your Windows PC, then its time to set up Roku screen mirroring. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do so:
- Set up the Roku screen mirroring, first of all, head towards the Control Panel of your PC.
- Select the Project option from the list.
- Now, you need to add a wireless display (PC Screen only) in order to select the display connected to the Roku Device.
- Click on the start mirroring your screen button to stream Kodi on Roku devices.
This is how you can successfully stream Roku using Kodi from your laptop.
How To Cast Kodi On TV?
If you have an android powered smart TV then you can use it to cast Kodi on your TV.
If you have an Android-powered Smart TV then you can also use it in order to install Kodi on Roku. This process is simple and it is less time-consuming.
Follow the steps below to cast Kodi on TV with the help of Roku.
- Click on the Home button located on your Roku Device.
- Now, go to Settings > System Update in order to confirm if you have installed the Roku Software build.
- Go to the Settings tab and search for the Screen Mirroring option, click on it.
- Here you need to Enable Screen Mirroring.
- Click on the OK button when you are done.
How To Install Kodi Via VGA Cable?
If the above-mentioned methods are not working at your end then you can give a try to the VGA Cable Method. For this purpose, you will need the following things:
- A device such as a Laptop or a PC.
- An HDMI Cable
- VGA Cable
- A 3.5mm Audio Jack
Now that you have all the above-mentioned requirements, follow the steps mentioned below to install Kodi via VGA cable on Roku.
- Plugin one end of the HDMI cable into your Smart TV and the other end into your Roku media player.
- Plugin the power cable of your device (PC or Laptop) and turn it on.
- Now, install Kodi on your PC by using the above-mentioned methods.
- After installing Kodi, connect your TV with your PC by using a VGA cable.
- The VGA cable does not support audio mirroring, that is why here you will need to insert the 3.5mm audio jack into your PC in order to listen to the audio.
- Head towards your Control Panel and then look for the Display option.
- In the Display, tab click on the Adjust Resolution button and make sure to check that TV is selected in the drop-down box of Display.
How To Jailbreak Roku?
Jailbreaking is a process of modifying and changing phones to get access to the entire file system so that one can easily remove restrictions on adding new software.
You can jailbreak mobile phones, popular media devices, and even consoles as well. Hence, you can add features that the provider has blocked. The developers of Roku have tried their best to prevent users from jailbreaking Roku box or stick.
This doesn’t mean that you cannot jailbreak Roku. You surely can, all you need to do is to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, click on the home button on your Roku remote
- Scroll down to the search bar
- Type Plex
- From the available options select Plex – Stream Free Movies & TV
- Click Add Channel
- Wait for the Plex Channel to get installed
- Click the OK button
- Go to the Plex Channel and click on the options button
- Choose Move Channel
- Place Plex at the top of your apps list and then click on the Launch button
- From your Plex home screen click on the sign-in button
- Note down the activation code
- Open your browser and enter the activation code. Soon you will get your account linked.
- Go back to the Plex app on Roku and select your desired server
- Click on the continue button
- Now, create your personalized navigation preferences and click on the finish button.
- Select your Plex Media Server
- Click on the movies tab to find your available content
This is how you can jailbreak Roku in a few simple steps.
Can I jailbreak Roku?
No, you cannot Jailbreak Roku as Roku is jailbreak proof. Roku employs its closed operating system that is accessible by its developers only.
Which one is better, Roku or Fire Stick?
The Roku Streaming Stick is a great gadget for those who are newly introduced to Media Streaming Devices. The remote for Roku is durable and the user interface is time tested as well.
Whereas the Amazon Fire Stick is more cutting edge and it has better performance criteria. But it is more cluttered and it has less content as compared to Roku.